Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Vissi d' arte

Thank you to all who responded with such kind words, thoughts, and prayers for my sister. The support and compassion is overwhelming and my family sends their thanks. She is doing much better, having received so many gifts of kindness. Please continue to keep her in your prayers; especially her children.

The Fuel to My Soul

I lived for art, I lived for love,I did no harm to any living soul!With a secret handI aided all the misfortunates I knew.Always with sincere faithMy prayerRose to the holy tabernacles.Always with sincere faithI gave flowers to the altar.In the hour of sorrowWhy, why, Lord,Ah, why do you reward me thus?I gave jewels to the robe of the Madonna,And gave song to the stars, to the sky,Which smiled all the more beautifully.In the hour of sorrowWhy, why, LordAh, why you reward me thus?--English interpretation of "Vissi d' arte".


I am listening to the aria from the opera Tosca by Puccini. The song "Vissi d' arte" performed by Tosca is one of passion, pain, and overwhelming longing. Tosca's lover is in the mercy of someone else's hands and in this aria she questions the fact that she must give away her dignity in exchange for her lover's life.

I just felt like writing about this beautiful piece of art. This song moves me and I love it. I thought hard about singing this in the Miss North Carolina but chose to not tackle such a difficult piece. I love this piece of music and encourage you all to listen and love.

Rebekah

No comments: